Thursday, July 24, 2008

Fuck Nina Garcia

“tight, short and shiny are the quickest ways to look cheap”-Nina Garcia

if you know me, you could easily assume that right now i am wearing

a) booty shorts in an ostentatious color that fit me like audrey hepburn’s black elbow gloves (tiiiggghhhttt and riiiiiiggghhhtt, baby!)

b) a top that may or may not scoop down between my non existent titties

c) biiiiigg black boots

d) every black woman’s crowning glory; a nappy, curly, sweet smelling halo of hair

this is how ive looked since i found my body under 70 pounds of weight lost in a way that almost killed me. my booty shorts are a litany of survival. they’re a reminder that the human body ( and the goddess) can take more abuse than you ever though it should and still look damn good, baby! getting dressed every day is a celebration, and a confusion for men who see me storming down the street.

one would think that i dress this way because it makes me feel sexy. those who make that assumption are completely wrong. the way i dress has a great deal to do with the length of my browner than golden brown thighs and calves; a height that turns pants into capris, skirts and shorts into everything mini- and actually minis into, well….headbands.

call me what you like, but this is the first time in my life where i rarely cringe when i look into shiny things.

*amendment* yes this post was once called "fuck michael kors" I then realized that Nina Garcia said the quote in question, although neither seem like veritable feminist icons to me anyway.

No comments: